Friday, July 30, 2010

Cell phones in class, fighting the weather, and various other Herculean tasks.

I understand the concept that teachers would like to keep cell phones out of the classroom because of the disruptive potential, but the reality is that cell phones aren't going anywhere and in fact they are only going to get more, and more prevalent. The economics of technology are that if you can't afford something now just wait and you will be able to. The personal computer has been getting smaller since its inception and with the invention of the smart phone these two have been on an irreversible collision course. The I-phone, and the Droid are getting closer to becoming multi-functioning netbooks. The standard rule of technology is that it will get better, cheaper, and smaller, and the logical destination for personal computing will be the palm of your hand.
If cell phones are and will continue to be a major part of our students lives shouldn't we teach appropriate etiquette and teach students how to best use the tools that are available to them.(Allen & Kolb 2007) All students might not have smart phones, but if we integrate the best practice principles of group work then we can form the groups around those that do. Not acknowledging that cell phones will become more and more a part of all of our lives and incorporating the option to use them is like telling kids that they can't drink or have sex till they're 21...pretty much ineffective.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you...we need to teach our students the values that underly responsible cell phone/technology use, such as etiquette and restraint, not pry electronic devices from their talons in a vain attempt at authority. During my Concordia interview, they asked me my view on technology, and when I expressed my (then) exasperation at the pervasiveness of cell phones, I was reminded that some students take notes on their cell phones, an act I would never want to impede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts, but I still hate them! They are a distraction!

    ReplyDelete